In a mid-afternoon slump? Need a sweet treat to get you through to clock-off time? We’ve found the sweet morsels to satisfy a 3pm craving and induce a rush hour of the best kind – sugar rush, that is. Takeaway or settle in – here’s our list of 12 sweet treats to try when you need a lift:
1. A chocolatey fudgy brownie from No. 5 Cafe is guaranteed to hit the spot.
2. A neat rectangle slice of boysenberry cheesecake from Bear Bones Coffee is satisfyingly creamy and fruity. Order with a coffee for an extra jolt.
3. Call us cereal offenders. We heart a toasted blueberry bagel from Reverends Fine Coffee & Bar with jammy preserves for extra sweet thrills.
4. Ooey and gooey – it’s got to be a vegan mud cake from Froth on Brunswick. Thank us later.
5. In a big-ass slump? Counter that energy dip with a sweetly subversive Big Ass Cupcake from Cakes & Sh!t. It’s the ideal ratio of icing to cake IMHO.
6. Hand over the spoon. We’re scooping up an Oreo cheesecake from B’s Cafe and Bar to get us through ‘til end of play.
7. A sneaky hot apple pie from Macca’s is always a good idea. Just sayin’.
8. For those who believe carrot cake is a healthy snack option, head straight to Cheung’s Cakes & Café for a slice of heaven.
9. One word: poffertjes – 10 tiny sugar-dusted Dutch pancakes for just $6 at Langos Brothers. You know what to do.
10. Slide into Best Friends – Kainan Sa Valley for a delish Filipino sundae aka halo-halo topped with ube (purple yam) ice-cream. Yum!
11. We heart the tiny squares of caramel slice at The Coffee Doctor. Just the right amount of naughty.
12. Step into Shadowplay House to see what gluten-free, vegan biscuits and cookies are on offer. The selection changes regularly, but the shortbread is a must.
– March 2021